Friday, July 12, 2013

Boo Boo Bag Sewing Tutorial


While stocking my online shop, I decided to add one of our family favorites. Then I decided why not make a tutorial out of it?...


I made a few of these when our son was little and just starting to wobble around, getting little bumps and bruises multiple times a day. They are perfect because they are super soft, and flexible, AND they can be used hot or cold- like an ice pack, or a heat pack! My son loves his, and I've used them a few times too! We keep them in the freezer for those unavoidable bumps and falls. But they can easily be heated in the microwave for a few seconds if you need a little hot pack. (Just stick a small cup of water next to the bags in the microwave to prevent the microwave from drying out.) They are filled with rice, so they are completely safe too. (*Disclaimer: The small pieces that are inside this bag may cause a choking hazard. I do not recommend leaving young children alone with these in case of breakage.)

I've also been known to heat up a couple of them in the winter to use as hand warmers! Just stick them in your pockets, or inside your mittens to keep your hands toasty + warm! The kids think these are so fun! Everyone at the bus stop will want a pair!

These little bags are even great for games. They can be used just like bean bags! So versatile!

Looking for an easy beginner sewing project? This is a quick instant gratification project! And if you're not up for making them yourself, you can find them in my shop, here. (Set to open on July 18, 2013).

So, let's get started:

You'll need:
- fabric scraps (I like to use flannel, or even fleece for this project for softness, but cotton would work too)
- rice
- a sewing machine
- scissors
- thread
- ruler

First, you'll want to measure and cut your pieces. I used 3 inch by 4 inch rectangles for my project. You can play around with a size that fits your needs. I like the smaller sizes because they are perfect for little hands, and they fit nicely in my pockets if I'm using them as hand warmers.


Next, place right sides together and sew all the way around using about a 1/4 inch sewing allowance. Make sure to leave a small section open for turning! I usually start about an inch before one corner, and end 1 or 1 1/2 inches away from where I started, leaving a nice gap.

Clip the corners, trim the edges to remove bulk, and turn right side out.



Fill bag about 3/4 of the way full with rice.


Then fold edges in, and sew opening closed. I just use my sewing machine, but for a nicer closing finish you could hand sew it closed. Clip thread, and you're finished!


Enjoy!




Let me know what you think of your Boo Boo Bags, and my tutorial! 
xxxx
Elizabeth




No comments:

Post a Comment

Like Hoot & Bumble? Tell us your thoughts!