Wednesday, July 24, 2013

{Ask Elizabeth} How to Set Up a Craft Table




Welcome to my first Ask Elizabeth Series post. As I may have mentioned before, I am so super excited about this series, and to start off, I have a great question sent in by a reader.

Susana asks:
"I've been wanting to set up a craft table for myself at home. What are the essentials that I need on there and how could I get it well organized?"

Great question, Susana. I first want to start off by saying, a craft room is one of my biggest dreams. Right now I have a corner of our basement set up for all of my craft supplies. I lug all of my materials for one project up the steps when I need it, and then back down the steps when I am finished so we can eat meals. When setting up a craft area, it is very important to consider a few things. Here is my dream craft space {more like a craft room. Maybe someday.}



What do you need to consider when setting up a craft room?

- How much space do you need?
- How much space do you have available?
- What types of crafts will you be doing in the space?
- How much time will you be spending there?

Personally, I would want a space near a window, with lots of natural light, and not easily accessible to my 3 year old. I spend a lot of time crafting, and would want something comfortable, relaxing, and with enough space that I don't feel cluttered.

After you decide where you will set up, you should decide which type of work space you need. Do you need a table? A few tables, that can serve as different types of "stations"? What else does your space need to inlcude? For example, most of my projects are sewing related. I typically set my kitchen up with 3 different work stations when I sew- a cutting/pinning/prepping station. an ironing station, and my sewing machine space. If I were to set up a craft area, these are the 3 must have spaces I would include.  

Now you can move on to getting set up. I like to keep the things I use a lot right in my reach. My scissors, rotary cutter, pins, pencils, etc. are usually on top of my table. You can use decorative cans or cups to hold your supplies {maybe even some aluminum cans, that have been painted or covered in scrapbook paper}.


One of my favorite ways to store craft supplies is in clear jars. Either mason jars or even cleaned out glass sauce jars or pickle jars. They are so pretty, they can be left out on a shelf, and the supplies can be the art. Storage for craft supplies doesn't have to cost money.



If you have the wall space, peg boards are a great way to organize craft spaces. They are completely adjustable, cheap, & they look great too.

 

For other supplies, like paper or fabric, I like to have cubbies, or drawers to hide them in. I believe that everything should have a place. If not, it is hard to keep things organized. There's nothing worse than needing a certain pair of scissors, or a particular ribbon to complete a project, and not being able to find it.


Setting up a craft room can be fun. It doesn't have to cost a lot of money, and you don't have to have a lot of space either. If you spend some time thinking and planning it out, you can make it a place you want to spend your free time, and the possibilities are endless! Have fun with it, and make it the creative space a craft area should be!

{If you have any questions about this post, or want to submit a new question for next weeks Ask Elizabeth post, please comment below, find me on Facebook, or email me at HootandBumble@gmail.com}


Elizabeth
xxxx


3 comments:

  1. These are great ideas! Love the peg board idea, especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg boards are so awesome! I love how completely customizable they can be! And the arrangement isn't permanent so things can be adjusted as needed. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Thank you! These are great ideas! I first have to figure out where my craft area will be. I love the idea of a space by a window, but unfortunately it'll have to be in our basement. Ohhh and I need to start saving our cans! :)

    ReplyDelete

Like Hoot & Bumble? Tell us your thoughts!