Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DIY Sewing Machine Cover


A few weekends ago, I finally finished converting a section of our basement into my workshop for Hoot & Bumble. That weekend, I completed a few projects I've been meaning to get to for a long time. It felt good to knock them out of the way.

One of those projects was a sewing machine cover. I had wanted to make one for a while, but since I didn't have a craft area, it was never a priority. Now that my sewing machine is in our unfinished basement, I figured now I must have one to keep my machine clean and free of dust.

I didn't set this project up to do a tutorial, so excuse the lack of pictures, and proper measuring. 

I had some soft apple fabric I bought over three years ago, and never used. I decided to use that along with some yellow ribbon (it doesn't match great, but I was trying to use up things I had sitting around).


I did this project without a pattern, so it's not perfect. I didn't measure great. Instead I kind of draped the fabric over my machine, and marked where it landed on the table. Then I cut out a rectangle using my markings. 

From there, I draped the fabric back over my machine, and marked where the corners were. Since the back of my sewing machine is wider than the front, the markings were not even. 

Then, I cut the corners out where I marked them, so the fabric looked like a big lopsided cross. 


I cut 8 pieces of ribbon a few inches in length, and sewed them as ties onto each corner a few inches down from the top.

If I wanted it to look perfect (I was being pretty lazy), I would have folded the edges all the way around, and created a hem for a more finished look. 

When finished sewing, I placed my cover on my sewing machine, and tied all 4 corners into a bow. 

And it's done! If you make one, link me to it in the comment section below. I would love to see it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Like Hoot & Bumble? Tell us your thoughts!